RUCK.co.uk writers select their Six Nations team of the week from Round 1 of the 2021 tournament as France, Scotland and Wales picked up wins.
After a long argument, somehow one England player has gotten into the selection.
Six Nations team of the week:
- Fullback: Stuart Hogg (Scotland): Rightly named man of the match. Marshalled brilliantly from the back, kicked superbly and was the game’s biggest running threat, beating eight defenders and making 69 metres with the ball in hand.
- Winger: Teddy Thomas (France): The speedster finished the rout against Italy with five minutes to go, set away for his second by the flashing hands of Dulin. He was immense throughout.
- Winger: Duhan van der Merwe (Scotland): Brings awesome power to Scotland’s backline. Perhaps should have taken the first opportunity Russell made for him, but a brilliant finish for the score, which included steamrolling over Owen Farrell. Warren Gatland will have noted that
Honourable mention: Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales)
- Outside-centre: Arthur Vincent (France) – The 21-year-old was an absolute rock in defence, making 15 tackles. He was also more than useful in attack, making 69 metres and scoring a try. Efficient operator.
- Inside-centre: Cameron Redpath (Scotland) – It was an outstanding Test debut for the son of former Scotland international Bryan Redpath and the Bath man definitely won the battle against former England U20s team-mate Ollie Lawrence. Scotland have a gem.
Honourable mentions: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland)