Inter Milan are officially out of the running to sign Liverpool target Timo Werner this summer, according to their sporting director.
According to Calciomercato recently, Werner had begun to consider interest from Inter, having previously discarded any thoughts about moving to the Italian top flight.
German outlet Bild though have always maintained that Liverpool are at the head of the queue for the 24-year-old. And Bild head of football Christian Falk recently revealed that Werner had changed his marketing agency to one owned by Jurgen Klopp’s manager.
The Reds have been heavily linked with Red Bull Leipzig striker in recent months and it has emerged that boss Jurgen Klopp has spoken to the player, who has made no secret of his admiration for his fellow German.
However, more recent reports indicated that Liverpool are unwilling to pay the £50million release clause in his contract and have all but pulled out of negotiations.
According to 90min, however, Liverpool’s step back from negotiations is a “warning” and the Reds have also told the Bundesliga side that they will happily pursue other targets.
That could have opened the door for the likes of Inter, but Piero Ausilio says the Nerazzurri would be wasting their time with a summer bid.
“We always liked him but he will not come, I know the reasons and there are several,” he told Sky Sport. “I know the opinion of the boy and his entourage. It’s true he has a clause, but he will not come.”
Meanwhile, Mauro Icardi has signed a contract to stay at Paris Saint-Germain on a permanent basis, according to Ausilio.
PSG have the option to sign the Inter forward outright for around €70million, but the clause is only valid until the end of the month
“I know that the boy is happy to stay in Paris,” Ausilio said to Sky Sport. “PSG can exercise the option to buy him and that expires on May 31.
“There is a figure that has obviously been affected by the health emergency, so we will see. We talk with Leonardo often and I know the player has signed a contract that would allow him to stay there. We will find a solution.”
Ausilio also confirmed interest from Barcelona in star striker Lautaro Martinez: “We have invested in him since he was very young because we thought he was ready for the first team.
“In recent years he has developed a lot and can improve further thanks to Conte, the playing system and a partner like Romelu Lukaku.
“He is an important asset for the club, there is a €111million clause he could leave for but it is very tough because it has very specific deadlines and is only valid until July 7.
“Inter do not need to sell, nor do we want to sell our best players, but we want to strengthen ourselves. I know there is interest from Barcelona, but we have not entered into any negotiations with them because they know our stance. We imagine Lautaro at Inter and he still has a three-year contract with us.”
The post Sporting director confirms defeat in race with Liverpool to sign Timo Werner appeared first on teamtalk.com.