Sale Sharks will be without the services of Springbok Jean-Luc Du Preez after he was suspended for three weeks.
The 24-year-old was sent off during Saturday’s 20-13 defeat to Worcester Warriors for striking an opponent with the shoulder, contrary to World Rugby Law 9.12.
In his attempt to execute a clear-out, Du Preez’s shoulder made contact with the face of Worcester’s Graham Kitchener, who needed medical attention.
Du Preez appeared in front of an independent disciplinary panel on Wednesday and ‘accepted the charge’
Consequently, he was given a three-week suspension by the panel comprising Ian Unsworth QC (chair), Guy Lovgreen and Rob Vickerman.
Du Preez will miss two European Champions Cup games against Exeter Chiefs and the Premiership clash with Northampton Saints.
The former Super Rugby star is free to play against Bath at The Rec on December 28.
- 20 Players Who Looked So Different In Their Youth
- INSPIRING | Rugby players who overcame disabilities
- Ranked! The experience at every Premiership ground
- LIST: 5 epic rugby union spats on Twitter
- 20 things we miss about rugby in the 90s