premium ticket events UK site icon

Leicester keep clean sheet in first leg at Slavia Prague, but held to draw

Leicester City were held to a goalless draw in the away leg of their Europa League Round of 32 tie with Slavia Prague.

Playing in the knockout stages of the competition for the first time ever, Leicester could not get an away goal.

However, they also prevented Slavia Prague from scoring at the other end, making for an intriguing second leg at the King Power Stadium next week.

The Foxes’ stalemate ensured they left the Eden Arena favourites to progress after the first leg of their last-32 tie.

Boss Brendan Rodgers has never reached the last 16 of the competition after four attempts with Liverpool and Celtic.

But after a draw in the Czech Republic the Foxes will be confident ahead of next week’s second leg at the King Power Stadium.

Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…

Harvey Barnes was denied by Slavia goalkeeper Ondrej Kolar in the first half but the visitors struggled to maintain their threat after the break.

They needed Kasper Schmeichel to turn Nico Stanciu’s drive over as the hosts were also left frustrated.

The Foxes started well as Marc Albrighton shot wide and James Maddison fired over inside the opening four minutes.

Nine minutes later Youri Tielemans’ crossfield ball released Barnes ahead of Alexander Bah and the winger burst into the box only to be denied by Kolar from close range.

Yet it was the only serious chance the Foxes carved out in the first half at the Eden Arena.

The Czech champions created brief openings, with Bah heading the best of them wide at the far post, but they were restricted despite 14-goal top scorer Abdallah Sima’s endeavour.

In a reflection of the half Leicester snatched at their other chances as Barnes hooked wide and had penalty claims waved away while Tielemans dragged wide just before the break.

They remained positive – especially with in-form Barnes’ relentless desire to go forward – until losing their momentum after the break.

Weaker second half for Leicester

Slavia unsettled the Foxes, Schmeichel gathering Stanciu’s free-kick, before the Romania international forced the goalkeeper to turn his 25-yard drive over after 58 minutes.

It was a marked difference from Leicester’s first-half display where, while they were never dominant, there was always a degree of control.

That had been lost and with Jamie Vardy suffering a rare off night he was replaced by Kelechi Iheanacho just after the hour.

The striker, though, was immediately booked after catching Jakub Hromada and will miss next week’s second leg.

James Maddison came off for Hamza Choudhury 12 minutes later as Rodgers ensured Leicester held firm.

The post Leicester keep clean sheet in first leg at Slavia Prague, but held to draw appeared first on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.