Wallabies legend Matt Giteau is set to join good friend Adam Ashley-Cooper in starting a new chapter in Major League Rugby.
There were suggestions that the 37-year-old was set to end his stellar career, but now, according to the Herald, is set to join the LA Giltinis.
Giteau is a utility back. His usual positions are inside-centre and fly-half, although he started his career as a scrum-half.
The new franchise, which will compete in a 13-team league next season, is owned by F45’s Australian boss Adam Gilchrist.
Another former Wallaby in Drew Mitchell has also agreed to play in the tournament for Rugby United New York.
The third season of MLR will begin in February with Springbok Tendai ‘Beast’ Mtawarira (Washington DC), All Black Ma’a Nonu (San Diego and England’s Chris Robshaw (San Diego) all confirmed for the 2021 season.
JOIN THE RUCK:
Fans pick their team of the decade (2010-2020)
15. Israel Dagg (34 per cent)
- Leigh Halfpenny (27 per cent)
- Stuart Hogg (24 per cent)
- Rob Kearney (15 per cent)
14. Ben Smith (43 per cent)
- George North (34 per cent)
- Jonny May (18 per cent)
- Chris Ashton (5 per cent)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (68 per cent)
- Jonathan Davies (18 per cent)
- Conrad Smith (13 per cent)
- Ryan Crotty (1 per cent)
12. Ma’a Nonu (50 per cent)
- Sonny Bill Williams (22 per cent)
- Owen Farrell (21 per cent)
- Matt Giteau (7 per cent)
11. Bryan Habana (64 per cent)
- Julian Savea (26 per cent)
- Liam Williams (7 per cent)
- Nemani Nadolo (3 per cent)