Maltese born, London living, alt pop duo Berne have recently released their second single, To The Lions. I sat down with the pair to learn a little more about the band, the creative process and what 2020 has in store for them as we delve a little deeper, Beneath the Surface.
1. What would you say first got you into the world of music and who would you class as your inspirations?
My first introduction to music was when I started taking piano lessons as a child and then singing lessons as a teenager. In my early teens, I discovered Vanessa Carlton and realised that playing and singing at the same time was a thing. Some years later, a friend introduced me to Regina Spektor and that was an incredibly key moment for my music career in terms of songwriting and performing.
As for Gian, he was introduced to playing music through post-punk bands such as Joy Division, Editors, Interpol and Radiohead. It unveiled a different kind of playing and a new genre of music which he loved. Throughout the years, he has taken inspiration from these bands and developed his own style which radiates our songs.
2. How would you describe the music you are currently creating?
Musically, we are influenced by different artists, although largely within the same genre. I bring my Agnes Obel and Adna influences and Gian brings his Joy Division and Radiohead influences and it morphs into something that we like.
Lyrically, we are inspired by society and the environment and want our music to be a vehicle for creating change in our planet. As individuals, we feel encouraged to question the status quo and often think about the impact our actions have on our planet. Naturally, this made its way into our songs.
3. What does your creative process look like?
4. Who would you most like to collaborate with? (Let’s send it out into the universe and make it happen!)
5. What is the one message you would like to send out to your fans?
6.What’s your top tip to rejuvenate your creativity and get over a writer’s block?
7. What’s next for you, what do we have to look forward to and what are you currently working on?
You can listen to Bernes newest track, animal rights anthem – To The Lions, here.